Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Do You Know How to Negotiate?

One of the reasons Americans loved Saturn cars was the “no-haggle” policy — which, to an Indian, is code for “let’s charge these suckers more because they’re afraid of negotiating.”
Have you ever seen one of your friends try to negotiate? It’s so sad it makes me want to cry. Imagine the most timid person getting the courage up to finally ask for something.
Timid weirdo: “Excuse me sir…do you think you might possibly maybe somehow discuss the salary with me? I am thinking –”
Hiring manager: “I’m sorry, it’s a set salary.”
Timid weirdo: “Okay” (head down, internally saying “I shouldn’t have even bothered”)
There is another way.
Here are just a few of the things you can negotiate:
  • Credit card APR
  • Salary (like my friend’s $8,000 salary negotiation)
  • Gym fee
  • Cable fee
  • Cellphone fee
  • Days off from work / work from home on Fridays
  • Complimentary room upgrade at hotels
  • Car insurance
http://www.iwillteachyoutoberich.com/blog/negotiate-salary-examples/

No comments:

Post a Comment